Monday, December 1, 2008

Goodyear Tires & Sanpelligrino -- Creating Brand Passion By Providing Visual Brand Engagement Clues

Perhaps it seems a bit odd to use SANPELLIGRINO and GOODYEAR TIRES in the same headline. Not so at all. Both companies have captured my mind and "share of wallet" in the past 24 hours. I must say GOODYEAR snagged a greater share of walllet with my purchase of four tires than the folks that make the all natural LIMONATA.



That's right. I recently bought myself four brand new GOODYEAR TRIPLETRED TIRES and a can of LIMONATA. What can we learn from both brands about creating consumer passion?



I own a 2004 VOLVO V70.

It's a great car and had MICHELIN TIRES on it. I was going to put new Michelin tires on it until I discovered the TRIPLETRED. Goodyear hooked me because as we head into winter I'm concerned with snow, ice and wet weather driving traction. I need SAFETY. You say but MICHELIN has BIB and owns a position with consumers around SAFETY. Yes but they don't have the new TRIPLETRED that features a VISUALLY DIFFERENT TRED PATTERN. This pattern looks so cool I think they should find a way to put it on my rental ice skates and when I go with the kids to the ice rink I will move like I'm thirty years younger. Goodyear took a brilliant marketing tactic and built a product with a difference that's not just believable but I "see it with my own eyes." The tred pattern looks like it will allow me to drive safely in every possible weather condition.



What's that have to do with the LIMONATA I'm drinking today? Well, the folks at SANPELLIGRINO have paid attention to consumers. In addition to a great tasting product, they have created a highly appealing can that has a small cover that protects the top of the can from all the germs, dirt and stuff that ends up on many soft drink cans at the C-Store. The company gave their can a small seal that I pull off just before I enjoy the drink. This product of Italy is made with 16% lemon juice, etc. I'm not sure I care but I sure love the idea that I can see they took the trouble to keep the product clean so I could safely enjoy it. Sure I could have cleaned it myself if they hadn't but I know they care about their brand as much as I do. Hmmm.



Feel free to comment and enjoy a LIMONATA while you do.



Jeff Fromm

jfromm@adamson-usa.com

No comments: